When We Are Closed
In a genuine emergency you should call 999.
Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.
Otherwise, should you need medical advice or help outside surgery hours please telephone 111. NHS 111 is the Out of Hours service providing access to local NHS healthcare services in England when the surgery is closed or you are away from home.
NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.
You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.
Call 111 if:
- You need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
- You think you may need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
- You don't know who to call, and you need health information or reassurance about what to do next
- If a health professional has given you a specific phone number to call when you are concerned about your condition, continue to use that number
- For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, continue to call 999
How does it work?
The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses and paramedics. They will ask you questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you straightaway to the local service that can help you best. That could be A&E, an out-of-hours doctor, an urgent care centre or walk-in centre, a community nurse, an emergency dentist or late-opening dentist.
Where possible the NHS 111 team will book you an appointment or transfer you directly to the people you need to speak to.
If NHS 111 advisers think you need an ambulance or an immediate visit from a paramedic, they will immediately arrange for one to be sent to you.
Calls to 111 are recorded. All calls and the records created are maintained securely, and will only be shared with others directly involved with your care.
Minor Injuries Units
There are Minor Injury Units (MIUs) at Chippenham Hospital 01249 456403/4 (7.00am-1.00am 7 days a week) and Trowbridge Hospital 01225 711329 (24 hours 7 days a week).